The summer semester started in May and I had three less weeks than the average semester to complete a full communications plan for my client The Hamilton.
All of my hard work went into developing that 30 something page plan which in turn lead to a 5 minute pitch to my classmates and panel members about it.
I’m sure I practiced it over 5 times. If it’s one thing I learned about public speaking from my graduate program, it’s that not only does practice make perfect but writing a script goes a long way.
Random elevator selfies taken on my way to class at Georgetown.
Public Allies MD Graduation 2014
My birth certificate says “Oyinade,” therefore I’ve had this name for all 23 years of my life. I have heard people butcher my name by adding letters to completely calling me something else. However if it’s one thing I appreciate, it’s the people who actually TRY to pronounce my name. Unfortunately, I’ve come across a great deal of people who hear my name and instantly dismiss it.
Read more …
Today I learned a valuable lesson on friendship which made me reflect on a few things.
1. Just because we don’t talk every day doesn’t mean I don’t think about you or don’t care.
2. I am a horrible text buddy and I don’t like talking on the phone. BUT set a date for an outing, get together or party and I ALWAYS show up.
3. I do not do ANYTHING to PURPOSEFULLY hurt ANYBODY. I am not conniving or backstabbing in any way.
4. I understand that friendships are a two-way relationship and there has to be an equal balance of give and take. I get it. I guess I’m just not the best at applying it.
5. Lastly, God puts people in our lives for a reason just like he takes people out of our lives for a reason too. Sometimes friends grow apart. That’s completely understandable and shouldn’t be met with animosity.
At the end of the day, I am not perfect and there are very few people I would even consider calling my ‘friend.’ In the midst of my own crazy schedule, I try to have somewhat of a social life. I fail at this all the time.
I apologize to all my friends who’ve felt like I wasn’t there for them. I get that it’s not just about showing up but also just being there and touching base with someone that counts.
Never have I ever been so stressed in my life. Until this semester, I have prided myself on my abilities to manage my time effectively. I was always the cool, calm and collected person because I knew at the end of the day, I would get what ever needed to be done accomplished. But that went all out the window this semester.
Read more …